Friday, March 27, 2020

Week 2, Day 10 of the CrononaCrazy Day Drills

Olivia asked if we could make up the schedule early last night so she could write it on the whiteboard. I told her I like having a theme on Friday.  Can you spot what she came up with? "Get Out Early Day" is what she came up with for our theme. Ok, works for me. Must have an early release program at this school on Fridays. 😂

Decided we wanted to make sure we had plenty of time for Bible Time and we want to kick the day off right, so we moved it to first. Remember yesterday when I said we found a really cool series on YouTube? Well, we pulled it up again today. Today we learned about Joshua and the battle of Jericho.  I asked the kids to tell it back to me and they did!  I should ask them again in a week and see how much they remember.


XtraMath time, they disappeared again. Olivia sometimes does hers before I even get out of bed. She's on subtraction and is angered that she hasn't progressed as quickly as she did through addition.  Isaac is finishing up division, which I believe is the last section. He's only a few days away from conquering. I'm fully expecting he will graduate from XtraMath Monday, if not earlier.  

In actual Math homework assigned by their teachers, Olivia is working on three-dimensional shapes and Isaac on fractions. Math was never my strong suit, so I try to keep up on what they're learning and how to best assist them in doing the problem how they're learning at school. I adore all the memes going around on FB about teaching them how to carry the one, but in all honesty, I'm trying hard to follow the ways of the state since that is how they'll be taught to test and neither could use any more 'ways' to do it.  They just need to learn a way and stick with it, so they're not confused.

Oh the solar system or Science/Art/Music project. When you put Olivia in charge, you better believe that she's going to incorporate these subjects. She asked if I would help her learn about the solar system. Who can deny their child of this educational lesson. So first I googled YouTube to learn a song to go with the lesson. Next I googled solar system lesson plans and found this gem. I printed off worksheet and even a quiz to cap off the lesson. What kind of teacher would I be without a pop quiz?! The quiz ended with Isaac in tears because Olivia got 100% and he didn't. ugh. Next time, group quiz. 

Reading was last today. We avoid having reading after lunch. Isaac is best in the morning when his brain is focused. I hate bumping it until after lunch, but today, under the new leadership-aka Olivia- that is where it was put.  So we finished up the day with reading/spelling test/vocab and grammar tests. Neither kid was feeling it, and neither was momma. I was spent. Isaac is learning about dependent and independent clauses. YES, right down my ally.  However, my biggest problem with Schoology is that after he completes the test, he sees the score, but not the ones he has missed.  How is he suppose to know (or how is momma suppose to know) what he needs more help on?  I know most don't care, but this momma wants to help sharpen those concepts he doesn't get yet.

Added bonus today was making Banana Crumb Cake. HIGHLY recommend if you have left over ripe bananas to use up.  It was AH-mazing.

Time for early release. They're heading to maw and paws for a sleepover tonight. They're beyond excited. We've seen maw and paw every day since this entire hoopla started, so I'm not too concerned about us sharing germs. Plus it will be nice for the teacher to send the students away for an evening. 😉








No comments:

Post a Comment