Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Week 3, Day 12 of the CrononaCrazy Day Drills

Well we took a different approach today.  Jeremy agreed to do Science and Reading with the kids when he got home so I could skip them.  YES! I sat on conference calls or online teaching most of the afternoon, so it was a welcomed break. Don't worry- the 'chore charts' from yesterday are coming into play nicely.  The deep clean of the kitchen floor was AWESOME. I was on calls and they were stripped down to their undies scrubbing the kitchen floor trying to whiten the grout?! I have fab pictures I'm sure I'll pull out and embarrass them when their older! But they're not public material, so I'll save those for family.

I kicked off today with a call at 9, so we were all up by 9:30.  I set up the outdoor tent in the basement so once again, I'm letting them sleep in a tent and long for the outdoors, with all the wonderful amenities of the indoors. 

Math was excellent today. Check out the cool video of Isaac seeing the light click on with fractions. It only took me a week to figure out how to explain and work with him on these problems. I think he might actually get it now.  Tomorrow's test over the material will be the tall-tale sign. 

Bible Time today we learned about Jonah and the Whale. I was on yet another call when they watched this lesson, so no questions or follow up today.  Maybe better luck tomorrow.

I won't bore you with what they had for lunch, but know that they helped themselves as I was working today and told them to find something. Pretty sure they had pizza rolls. LOL


Then there was our Art Pop Cupcake project. First let me say we have two weeks to complete this project so there is NO NEED to do it one sitting. But 2.5 hours later, we finished the project. Kiddos had to watch videos on pop art. Have a look. It was super interesting. I learned something myself. Then they had like a 5-question test on pop art. I think* they both passed? Then I printed off the directions for the assignment portion and they both got to work.  The practice session with the cupcakes went pretty well.  Then we started the graded assignment.  Poor Isaac just doesn't get symmetry. First you had do everything in pencil. When I looked at his first version, you could have fit the entire thing in a half of a sheet of 8.5x11. UGH.  Before he colored, I made him start over. I put a dot in the center of the page and that helped him so much. When they finished and I went to upload to their folders I see that Olivia (different grade) was suppose to do a cookie, not a cupcake. What the heck? Are you kidding me? So I wrote a love note to the Art teacher and said we worked on them together and I hope she will accept the cupcake instead of the cookie without penalty. TBD. 

Reading and Science with Dad went pretty smoothly. Only Isaac has Science right now and it's about motion. I think their video talked about rollercoasters, which was all that was needed to get sidetracked and talk about Cedar Point. Dude, he can't WAIT for the park to open. I hope he doesn't have to wait too long to go enjoy.  He talks about that place all year long. 

If anyone actually reads these blogs and has any suggestions for a reading series or books that Isaac might actually want to read, drop me a note. We haven't found something for reading that is wonderful as XtraMath has been for math. 















No comments:

Post a Comment