Wednesday, August 2, 2017

20 Days of Summer- Homemade Applesauce




YUM!

Remember back on Day 28 when I blogged about picking apples from my granny's apple tree? Well 8 days have passed and I really needed to get going to make and can some homemade applesauce before the apples went bad. 

Last year my mom made applesauce and provided us homemade sauce all year for Olivia's lunches. Olivia absolutely LOVES applesauce. It was even more special that Grandma Barb had made it. We ran out with about a month of school to go, so I've been wanting to can some of my own this year.

This year my dad got in on the act and they canned 16 pints of applesauce last week. We we were there, my parents sent us home with about half of it. That will last about two months tops. My girl can eat some applesauce. So today was the day to make some of our own.

We started by peeling the apples. Isaac wanted to help peel.  I let him go to town. You want to peel? Go to town kid! He informed Olivia that she was only 5 years old and since he was 6 years old and the peeler is so sharp that only he could handle it. Olivia started whining that she needed a job. We decided that her job would be the button pusher on the food processor. She was good with that.  

So after peeling, boiling and blending, it was time to fill the canning jars. I got 14 pints out of 5 gallon bucket of apples. I had to throw quiet a few out because I had left them sit in the garage for a week after picking them. So I was pretty happy with getting 14 quarts. We might make it 6 months now with what we have canned. I most likely will have to do another 5 gallon bucket this fall, but I love that the kids helped make it. I feel like when they are part of the process, it makes it even more special. 




No comments:

Post a Comment