Monday, August 21, 2017

Last Day of Summer! The Solar Eclipse


We got Mooned...


Last day of summer, so the universe got involved to help us celebrate. A Solar Eclipse. According to this website

An eclipse of the Sun happens when the New Moon moves between the Sun and Earth, blocking out the Sun's rays and casting a shadow on parts of Earth.

The Moon's shadow is not big enough to engulf the entire planet, so the shadow is always limited to a certain area (see map illustrations below). This area changes during the course of the eclipse because the Moon and Earth are in constant motion: Earth continuously rotates around its axis while it orbits the Sun, and the Moon orbits Earth. This is why solar eclipses seem to travel from one place to another.

ONU handed out special glasses to view the eclipse, so I shared a pair with the kiddos who would be at my parents while I started my first day of school. It was pretty cool. My mom had both kids draw pictures of what they seen, and explained to them that in 2024 they would get to see it again. Both kids thought it was pretty cool. Olivia said, "I liked that a lot!" Isaac said, "It was awesome!" 

As we close out the summer, thanks for reading along. I would love to know if you read some post, or what you thought. Please comment below and let me know what you thought! 

No comments:

Post a Comment