Monday, July 24, 2017

29 Days of Summer- Seneca County Fair

175 Years and Still Going Strong

Twenty years ago tonight was a pretty special night. I was crowned the Queen of the Seneca County Fair. I have fond memories of the entire time spend as the Queen representing Seneca County Fair at many area fairs and festivals and of course, during the week of the fair. When I got the letter in the mail with free fair tickets inviting all past King and Queens back for their special 175th year of the fair, I was pumped. It was encouraged to dig out the old sash and crown and come back to the fair. I went to the cedar chest and found the sash with all the original buttons still attached. How funny. I found my crown too, but my best buddy Nickie said she wasn't wearing hers and so I decided I'd leave mine on the shelf. (Or as I joke in the golden box above the fireplace with a super secret passcode! lol).
Olivia was excited to go with me. I think more to ride the rides than actually see her mom relieve her life 20 years prior! teehee. Fair enough. Nickie and I put back on our high heels and headed back for a magical night. It was so fun to see so many familiar faces (and their families!). I was nervous for the queen contestants and of course picked my winners from my seat in the crowd of who should be crowned. It was nice to see so many former Kings and Queens return. Someone said around 60 had made their way back to the fairgrounds for the fun evening. The very first Queen and King from the 60s were in attendance. How fun!

I made Olivia walk through the 4-H booth building. I'm super excited that she can be a Cloverbud next year. I think both my kids will enjoy 4-H. I am hoping that they love it as much as I did. I could write for hours about all the wonderful skills and knowledge I gained from being in 4-H, but that's not really the focus of the post. Maybe I'll save that for another day.

After the contest, as promised I took Olivia to the rides. Nickie's daughter Izzy was able to join us too. It was perfect because it gave Olivia a riding partner. We closed down the rides at 10 p.m. It was a long evening but rides were only $.50 a ride so we were able to ride for a little over an hour for under $5.00. Awesome! 

As I folded up my sash and placed it back in the cedar chest until the next reunion (if there ever is one), I couldn't help but wonder if the 2017 Queen was excited for the journey ahead. Lot's of people make jokes about being the "fair queen," but it totally rocked. So make fun all you want...representing the Seneca County Fair was one of the best memories of my childhood! 




No comments:

Post a Comment