Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Week 5, Day 20 of the CrononaCrazy Day Drills


Today you are getting an update exactly how I feel about the day. Short because I'm over it.  After the third time asking Isaac to watch a video that start and stopped at least 6 times, I found myself locked in my bathroom sending video chats to Jerm to say he would be walking into a land mind when he returned home from work. I MUST escape from this house.  I need a new environment.  During the school year, my favorite spot is St. Rita's resource center at the hospital.  One, reliable internet. Two, the only Starbucks in town is across the hallway. Three, no one finds me there. I'm really missing my spot to escape. I haven't had to go there as often this year with my move to the business college. People don't know where I went at work.  I'm not complaining because I got more work done while at work than in the last 13 years. But I digress.

Today we kicked off with reading one-on-one while the other did hot dots. We're doing this from now on because this helped tremendously.  This also leads naturally into their reading work. Olivia is much better an Isaac working independently. I've found they both know if I'm not checking they just click submit and don't really read/watch it.  UGH.  So frustrating.  Have to check everything- even if it's not for grade- because later it will be and they need to read it!  

Writing prompt today was if you were a bee, what would you be doing right now?  Their answers were cute. Olivia had so much to say it went to a second page! 

We learned with Isaac he can understand much better when he can see the problem.  I sent a text to Jerm asking about one problem, and I think he summed it up well...

"You have it correct but it’s worded so dumb. I get what they are saying but it is just worded to confuse the child. Why? This is math. It is absolute. It has a right answer so stop confusing the child. This really isn’t math, it’s a critical thinking class. Which is fine but call it that. That question to me is not math."

Bible Time today was Noah's Ark. I typically get other things done while the videos are on, but listen in on the kids conversation. I love hearing them discuss or foreshadow what will happen. For example, when the dove brought back the olive branch, they were cheering and knew it wouldn't be long to find land.  

The Social Studies lessons was were I lost it (it got bumped until after bible time). Olivia is working on biographies. Isaac on the other hand was going to learn about transportation and his movie stopped a million times and he'd have to log out and get back in to make it work. Maddening.  School was cancelled for the day shortly thereafter. 🤣





No comments:

Post a Comment