Wednesday, June 21, 2017

62 Days of Summer- Garlo Heritage Nature Preserve


Indians Still Live Here?


Remember me telling you that Jeremy and I were on vacation and gave my parents and Jeremy's parents instructions to A. Keep our kids alive B. Do something each day to put on the blog and C. take pictures for me to put with the post. Well I'm happy to report both grandparents nailed it!

I grew up in Seneca county. Yet when I got these pictures I was like, "where the heck is this?!" So naturally I Googled it.  Here is what I found from the website:

Garlo Heritage Nature Preserve was created in 1997 when Dolly and Alma Garlo initiated the gifting of 256 acres of their family farm to the park district. The park is a living legacy in memory of doctors Olgier and Maria Garlo and their son Alex. 

Well the good news is that I graduated high school in 1997, so I left for college that year and haven't lived full-time in Seneca County since, so that is my excuse for never seeing this amazing spot. 

Because I wasn't there and mom and dad took them, I asked Olivia what she thought of it.  She carefully explained the beehive-looking wood structure and how you could climb around the outside of it or in the middle of it. Then she pointed to the swing picture and said it was just nice to swing and look at the water. But then she said, "I'm pretty sure some Indians still live there because I saw their teepees!" So apparently there are some teepees and if there are any of those set up, someone MUST live there. LOL. I don't have any pictures of the teepee's so I have NO idea if she made it up or if there are some actually on the property. That one you'll have to go to find out for yourself!

From the pictures and the stories, this is a must stop place the next time I head up to my parents house. Might dress the kids up and try to get some new pictures. The scenery from the pictures that mom shared look beautiful and the kids said they would go back. Win-win for all! 




No comments:

Post a Comment